Guilt

Guilt is something that I am very good at. You know that stomach-turning, wake-you-up-in-the-middle-of-the night type of guilt? I’m not a bad person, I mean I haven’t got anything weighing too heavily on my mind but it is the small things that seem to haunt me. Like my new wool (pictured above)- did I really need it? Am I being too extravagant. Obviously the answer is ‘no’. Mainly because this is beautiful yarn (Rowan Kid Silk Haze - shade hurricane); it is for a present (I’m going to knit Cobweb from Rowan 40 for my brother’s girlfriend for Christmas); and Dreamcatcher made me do it (well effectively - I mean how you can show pictures of yarn like that on your blog and not expect people to give in to temptation?).


Matilda Jane is going well I’ve completed the body and just need to finish the trims and the sleeves - I’ve set myself the challenge to finish it this weekend (including the bank holiday) so hopefully I’ll be able to post a finished picture of it on Tuesday.

The title of this post came from the other guilt that is playing on my mind. Today I complained to my neighbours about the three fridges that have been sitting by the side of the house (it is converted into 5 flats) for the past 2 months. I feel terrible now, I’m not usually a complainer but our house is just so beautiful that these fridges and the accompanying huge pile of bin bags have been gnawing away at my sense of the aesthetic for a while. But the guilt now is awful, I actually didn’t properly complain just casually enquired whilst in the garden who the fridges might belong to… but I’m sure they saw through my feeble cover-up. Oh well, I’ll try not to stay awake all night worrying. I think I’ll take round a bottle of wine tomorrow…

13 comments:

Hazy said...

I think buying yarn for gifts is always an exception to the "I shouldn't really buy more yarn" rule. And if you decide when you are finished knitting the thing that you want to keep it instead of giving it away, then so be it! :)

Alice said...

No way-do not take a bottle of wine. Even if you had made a complaint (in a civilised manner, of course) you would not owe anyone an apologoy. You have a perfect right to enquire after these eyesores. If none of us cared, imagine what kind of place the world would be. Do not feel guilty.

Right, enough ranting. That's a lovely colour KSH (oh, naughty, bad Dreamcatcher). Cobweb looks gorgeous. What a fab present that will be.

Alice said...

Sorry about my typo. I really hate it when I do that.

acrylik said...

I agree - don't take a bottle of wine round - there's nothing to feel guilty about.

And, yes, buying yarn for gifts just doesn't count!

dreamcatcher said...

Oh dear, I'm very sorry! :-) KSH does come in such a wonderful range of colours though. Now I'm horribly tempted to drag the Violetta from its hiding place and start the moss stitch scarf ...

Certainly no reason to feel guilty for asking about those fridges. Most likely still sitting there as you have to pay to have them disposed of now.

Artis-Anne said...

Love the colour of the KSH and no buying yarn as pressies does NOT count . I really would not say sorry either; do your council clear things like that for free, ours do. Looking forward to seeing Matilda Jane

José said...

i wish i had it in me to buy Kid Silk Haze, even if it was a pressie! But i do agree with everyone, if it's a pressie then it doesn't count as anything to do with your own stash !! :)

Badger said...

Do not buy them wine! You shouldn't feel guilty at all - they need to be told that their fridges are an eyesore and should be removed. Perhaps you could see if your council offer a free fridge collection service (mine does) and then mention it to your neighbours?

Lara said...

Love the KSH color - and cobweb is gorgeous! I am tempted to make one myself...and just night! Can't wait to see the results.

T said...

Oh, poor you with the guilt. You've done nothing wrong, people need telling. Yarn buying guilt though - I can understand ;) That's a lovely shade and Cobweb is beautiful.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Matilda Jane! :)

Frankie said...

Your brother's girlfriend is very lucky. (I hope your brother doesn't take the same position as he did about your wristwarmers - or perhaps it's a different brother).
Relationships with neighbours are tricky. But sounds as if you were super-polite and tactful. I hope they did get the hint, and agree that a bottle of wine is not at all what they deserve.

Anonymous said...

It's hard not to have mixed feelings when people are nice neighbors and yet do things that just annoy you. We have a great neighbor next door that shares tools with my husband and helps out with anything we need, but his own house and garden are rather an eyesore, and now that we're trying to sell our house, I wonder if there is ever a nice way to say, "would you please replace the column that fell off your front porch, because having only one there looks quite silly?!" :)

Can't wait to see your project!

Anonymous said...

Alice is spot on .